What are Pillars Learning Experiences?
The Department of Student Affairs Assessment & Staff Development (ASD) is responsible for designating UGA Student Affairs experiences as Pillars of Student Success Learning Experiences.
Designation as a Learning Experience confirms that a UGA Student Affairs program, event, or service is designed to facilitate learning related to the Pillars of Student Success. All UGA Student Affairs staff members are encouraged to seek designation for programs, events, or services that meet the following minimum criteria.
- The experience must have at least one defined learning outcome.
- Any learning outcomes for the experience must have a direct and authentic connection to at least one Pillars of Student Success learning priority.
- The format of the experience is likely to produce the learning outcome(s).
Many programs, events, and services exceed the minimum criteria and meet the expectations set forth by the Pillars of Student Success Team for PRIME Experiences. In these situations, staff members should either:
- seek designation as a Learning Experience to ensure the program, event, or service is recognized as having a connection to the Pillars of Student Success; or
- consult with their supervisor to explore the possibility of seeking PRIME Experience designation.
The first step in designating an experience as a Learning Experience is to complete the online submission form. In preparation for completing the form, staff members seeking a Learning Experience designation should be prepared to address the following:
- Name of the experience
- Description of the experience
- Purpose of the experience
- Learning outcome(s) of the experience
- How the experience aligns with selected Pillars of Student Success learning priorities
- Ways in which learning will be facilitated
- Plans to assess the experience
Upon receipt, ASD will review the submission form. Within 7 business days, ASD will provide one of the following responses:
- Approval of Designation
- Once approved, the experience is added to the official list of Pillars of Student Success Learning Experiences. Future communications or promotions can reference the designation as a Learning Experience and/or include the Pillars of Student Success logo. Approved Learning Experiences retain their designation through the end of each fiscal year.
- Request for Consultation
- Questions may emerge as ASD reviews the submission form. In these cases, ASD will contact the staff member who submitted the form to request a consultation. The purpose of the consultation is to clarify responses submitted via the online form and/or to suggest modifications to strengthen connection to the Pillars of Student Success framework.
On an annual basis, ASD will contact staff members with designated Learning Experiences to discuss renewal of the designation. Renewal will be contingent upon:
- Continued facilitation of the experience
- Continued alignment with minimum qualifications
- Documentation of evaluation results
- Articulated plans for improvement